A Reason to Celebrate
The church year calendar has always been for me a guide for spiritual formation. Each season brings me to a new understanding of the gift of grace God provides for each and every one of us. Let me walk you through the calendar.
- We anticipate his coming in Advent.
- We celebrate his incarnation in Christmastide.
- Our mouths drop in amazement at the revelation of his glory in Epiphany.
- We learn to walk with him to the cross during the forty days of Lent.
- We experience the high drama of Holy Week, reliving the Passion, from the midday darkness of Good Friday to the mysterious, surprising dawn of resurrection grace on Easter Sunday.
- For fifty days in Eastertide, we try to wrap our minds around the fact that Christ lives,
and because of him, so do we.
- We watch him pass from earthly sight to take his throne on Ascension Day, and then
celebrate the birthday of the new community our risen, exalted Lord creates on Pentecost.
- For the rest of the year, we learn to live day by day as citizens of heaven and messengers
of his Good News in the world (Ordinary Time).
We have just entered The Great Fifty Days of Eastertide. Easter is not simply a day, but an entire season of celebrating the presence of the risen Christ and learning to walk in newness of life. These Sundays are full of celebrations of Affirmation of Baptism, High School Senior Recognition, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, and others. The whole reason we can celebrate is because of the resurrection of Jesus our Lord. He is Risen! He is Risen Indeed!